Saturday, May 15, 2010

Painting #73 Blush

I just love days like today. For one thing, it’s hot outside. I love hot days. I could never live in the north. I really have no idea why so many people chose to live in cities such as New York or Chicago. I know, I know, they’re amazing… but it’s too cold! Also, I was able to teach students who love learning. That’s so fulfilling! We’re having our art exhibition downtown next Thursday, so my students are all excited and working hard on their final pieces. My dad, brother, and sister are visit for the weekend (they just can’t stay away…) because my brother is going to Marine boot camp on Sunday! My house smells incredible because of the huge magnolia and peony blooms… which is where this painting comes into the mix. Now, I must admit that this is not the painting I originally started today. I worked on this lovely scene of Caesar’s Head… water, trees, mountains… very picturesque, but it just wasn’t working! I’m not really sure what the deal was, but I hated working on it.
So, I stopped (after about three hours of labor), and decided that I needed to paint something I would enjoy. Peonies on poplar.  What could be more refreshing and lovely?
I love the contrast between think, impasto, oil paint and the illustrative drawing. The color also really resonates with me. It is so innocent and sweet and romantic. I think this would be such a great gift for a bride-to-be, or a new baby girl, or a dear grandmother (my grandmother has such a beautiful yard full of peonies), or for yourself... let us not forget about that option!


Have a happy weekend!


2 comments:

Heidi said...

so pretty! I love the colors, too (same as my wedding and my 2 girls' room- in which this would be lovely :))

EmilyJeffords said...

Thanks Heidi! I'llbet your daughters room is beautiful! We painted Annalisa's room a shade similar to this painting as well! It's so sweet and pretty...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails